The Polish National Association was founded in 1920, by just a handful of Polish immigrants. Practically penniless and with very little knowledge of the English language and customs, but with great enthusiasm and energy, their desire was to be good Canadian citizens and uphold the Polish culture and traditions.
Their main source of income was a small Variety Store, which they opened in a cottage in London, and together with concerts and dances, they raised enough money to purchase the former Bethemanuel Church at 554 Hill Street. Volunteers worked desperately to renovate the church into a hall, which was a home away from home, and then held dances, bazaars, banquets, etc. But by 1948 many more Polish soldiers and survivors of the Second World War emigrated to Canada and settled here in London.
Naturally, the old hall was inadequate and in 1958 the construction of the new hall began. It was completed and opened on April 26, 1958. The renovation of the Auditorium was undertaken at the beginning of 1999 and with much pride, the grand opening of the newly renovated facility was completed on May 8, 1999. The Auditorium accommodates 350 people, plus the lower Hall can accommodate 140 people.
Since Poles are very sports minded, in 1977 the Polish National Association purchased 37 acres in Nilestown and built a Polish-Canadian Recreation Centre, consisting of Banquet & Dance Hall, soccer fields and dressing rooms.
Thanks to the Polonia Cup tournament in Nilestown, the White Eagles and the Polish National Association of London have gained wide recognition in South Western Ontario.
We are very happy, proud and contented Polish - Canadian group, who appreciate the privileges and opportunities we are blessed with in Canada.
554 Hill St, London, ON N6B 1G1, Canada